Thread: How to migrate my OS from HDD to SSD?

Beans

How to migrate my OS from HDD to SSD?

I have a HDD with Ubuntu and Windows 10 which I would like to migrate to SSD.

How can I do this easily?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to migrate my OS from HDD to SSD?

Make sure both drives are connected, boot to a Ubuntu USB, then use "dd" to copy the blocks of one device to another. Double and triple-check the "dd" command parameters before running it, as it WILL destroy data on the destination device.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Easily is subjective. The easiest methods may not work, so do you want to waste time doing something that might not work?

First, the sector size on the 1 devices needs to be the same. That is usually 512b or 4096b. AFS (Advanced File System) is the marketing from storage vendors to say that sectors are 4Kb. The size of the storage involved usually plays the main role in the sector sizes. 1 sector is the size that the storage reads and writes, always. Every file will be at least 1 sector in size. On a 4Kb sector disk, even a 2 byte file will be 4Kb in size. On a 512b sector disk, then that same 2 byte file will be 512b in size. Anyway, cloning a 512b disk onto a 4Kb disk shouldn't be a huge issue, but going the other way will be. To clone, there are lots of different tools. Clonezilla, dd, ddrescue, and many HDD vendors ship their own "Disk Duplicator" tool. Each as the liability that it may not work.

Also, when the disks are cloned, the UUIDs are cloned for file systems, partitions, and disks, so those storage devices cannot be used in the same computer until the new UUIDs are forced. Linux likes to use UUIDs to mount the correct storage at boot, so if there are duplicates in the same computer, well, the wrong storage might be mounted. This is controlled by the /etc/fstab.

Cloning doesn't really know about empty storage space, so the entire disk has to be cloned, even the unused parts. Further, of the sizes for the HDD and SSD aren't exactly (to the sector count) identical, then the 2nd copy of the partition table will be in the wrong place and you'll need to move it to the end of the disk. Cloning adds lots of issues.

The "safe" way would be to backup all your data, pull the old HDD out and install the new SSD, install Windows10, then install Ubuntu - both fresh - then copy the backup data/settings for each OS back to the place is was before. Lastly, reinstall the programs you were using. With Linux, this entire process should take less than 45 minutes if you have less than 100GB of stuff. Because the settings and programs will be exactly what they were before, it will be the same. No need to worry about UUIDs, since the installation process will setup new UUIDs.

So, only you can decide if what seems to be "easy" truly is.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

+1
    The "safe" way would be to backup all your data, pull the old HDD out and install the new SSD, install Windows10, then install Ubuntu - both fresh - then copy the backup data/settings for each OS back to the place is was before.

That is the same workflow I followed. I can't remember if I had to prepare a Windows recovery on a flash USB, but I pulled out the hard drive from Dell tower, installed SSD in an Icy Dock caddy I purchased in advance - EZConvert Series 2.5" > 3.5". The internal SSD in caddy was partitioned using Gparted in LiveUSB. The Toshiba HDD was used as repo to plug into an external USB docking bay from StarTech then the HDD could be recycled as backup drive. It is a juggling act.